A Utility Local Improvement District Assessment is a means to finance a necessary public improvement in Washington State by assessing benefiting property owners for the costs to complete the improvement, as fairly as possible in relation to the special benefit received. Property owners in the benefit area may either pay their respective assessments in a single lump sum, or they may pay them in installments over a period of time not exceeding 20 years at an interest rate set by the governing body of the public entity empowered by law to form the assessment.
In 2001, the Lake Whatcom Water and Sewer District Board of Commissioners formed utility local improvement district assessment (ULID) #18 for the financing of the Lake Louise Road Sewer Interceptor. Some vacant properties located within the benefit area were excluded from the assessment role because the property owner elected to “opt out” of ULID 18 by recording a Restrictive Covenant. A Restrictive Covenant prevents the property from receiving sewer service for a period of at least 25 years from December 16, 2002.
The original amount for ULID #18 was $2,792.78 per assessment.
Billing for Installments:
- ULID statements are billed annually on March 1st and are mailed to the owners of assessed lots carrying an open assessment balance until 2023.
- Charges for water and sewer service, if the lot is connected to the water and/or sewer system, are billed separately.
- ULID charges are billed at $139.64 principal and 9.5% interest on the remaining unpaid balance on the assessment. When the ULID #18 balance has been paid in full, the lot will no longer be billed annually for ULID #18 charges.
- The due date for the minimum annual payment is April 30th of the year it is billed.
A 30-day grace period is allowed.
- If the minimum annual amount due is not paid by the due date, including the grace period, a past due fee of 12% will be assessed against the annual minimum amount due.
For more information about ULID #18, please contact the District Office. Click here for contact information, location, and hours of operation.