CLOSED – Employment Opportunity – Temporary LaborerBack to Announcements Published on 03/09/2022
The District is seeking a Temporary Laborer for performing routine or as needed grounds and facility maintenance work. This position is a full-time seasonal position for a term of up to five months.
Provide a variety of simple manual labor functions supporting water and sewer utility operations. This is a field position that is expected to work outside in all types of weather conditions at facilities located throughout the District’s service area in the Lake Whatcom Watershed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Specific duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- grounds and facility maintenance using a lawn mower/weed eater/leaf blower/pressure washer;
- clean and maintain equipment, vehicles, and facilities;
- assist with cleaning and maintenance of sewer mains, pipes, and manholes; and
- assist with repair of sewer and water systems.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- knowledge of safe and appropriate operation of yard maintenance equipment;
- ability to communicate clearly and effectively, verbally and in writing;
- ability to conduct strenuous and physically demanding tasks for long hours and in extreme environmental conditions;
- ability to lift and carry weights in excess of 50 pounds;
- ability to work cooperatively as a team member; and
- ability to take direction from operations staff, and work efficiently and independently.
- possess and maintain a Washington State driver’s license acceptable to the District’s insurance carrier
Work is primarily performed in the field with exposure to traffic, varying weather conditions, and hazardous conditions (exposure to wastewater and various toxic chemicals may be occur). Worker must have overall stamina to perform moderate to strenuous physical activity, including ability to stand or walk for long periods of time, traversing over rough terrain, or work in tight or confined spaces. Must be able to lift 50 pounds and carry that load a minimum of 10 feet, and be able to climb in and out of a four-foot deep trench.
OTHER DISTRICT REQUIREMENTS
- punctual and consistent attendance
- dress and grooming appropriate to the position
- safety attire, equipment practices appropriate to the position
- deal tactfully and courteously with the public
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees
- Per District policy, all employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. If you are selected for employment by the District, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination. You may request an accommodation if you are unable to meet this requirement due to religious or medical necessity.
SALARY and WORK SCHEDULE
- salary will be $20.00 per hour
- work schedule will be 40 hours per week following a four days per week, 10 hours per day schedule (Monday through Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., with a half-hour lunch)
- two unpaid holidays are anticipated during the potential work period (Independence Day on July 4 and Labor Day on September 5)
- employment schedule is anticipated to be mid-May through mid-September, with some flexibility to accommodate the preferred candidate’s availability
- first review of applications will be on Thursday, April 14, 2022
- Click here for printable LWWSD Job Application
- submit completed application, cover letter, and resume electronically (Adobe Acrobat/pdf format) to firstname.lastname@example.org or in hard copy (paper) to Lake Whatcom Water & Sewer District, 1220 Lakeway Drive, Bellingham, WA 98229
The Lake Whatcom Water and Sewer District is an equal opportunity employer. The District employs, retains, promotes, disciplines, and otherwise treats all employees and job applicants strictly on the basis of job-related qualifications and competence. These policies and all employment practices shall be applied without regard to any individual’s sex, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sexual orientation (including gender identity), pregnancy, age, marital status, military status, disability genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed. The employee serving in this position will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisors.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the District and the employee and is subject to change as the needs of the District and requirements of the job change.