How do I become a bonded contractor with the District?

If you have been hired to work or perform construction on a side sewer line in the District, you will need to fill out an application to be a Bonded Contractor.  Even if you are bonded with other nearby providers (for example, the City of Bellingham), you will need to become bonded specifically with Lake Whatcom Water and Sewer District to perform work in our District.  For information and instructions on becoming bonded, please visit our Bonded Contractor page.

How do I purchase a permit?

Permits are issued by appointment only.

Complete your permit application packet and return to the Lake Whatcom Water & Sewer District office.  When the permit is ready, a District representative will contact you to set up your permit intake and payment appointment.  For more information and the permitting application, please visit our Water and Sewer Permits page.

Can you recommend a plumber?

We are not able to recommend specific plumbers to our customers, however, there are many qualified plumbers in Bellingham.  If you are looking for a contractor to install a new water or sewer connection, please see our information about Bonded Contractors.

What is a Cross Connection?

A cross connection is any actual or potential physical connection between a potable (i.e., drinkable) water line and any pipe, vessel, or machine containing a non-potable fluid, solid, or gas where the non-potable substance can enter the potable water system by backflow. Garden hoses left connected and turned on when not in use can easily contaminate your home plumbing system. For questions or concerns about potential Cross Connections, please contact Lake Whatcom Water and Sewer District employee Rich Munson at (360) 737-9224.

Your residence has obligations regarding cross connections.  If your residence has an in-ground irrigation system, heat pump, boiler or any other type of identified cross connection that requires a backflow prevention device, you are required to have the device inspected annually by a State Certified Backflow Assembly Tester.

Remember: a cross connection not only threatens your health and safety, but that of your neighbors and the community as a whole, so please do your part to prevent them.

Cross Connection Control – District Resolution 227